London +4420 814 42225
Moscow +7495 543 9194
Kiev +38044 599 2950
info@mrcplast.com

Our Clients

Order Informer

 
Home > News >
 

Shell and Qatar Petroleum ink deal on scope of petrochemical hub

December 16/2011

(Plasteurope) -- Almost one year after Shell and Qatar Petroleum inked a memorandum of understanding to study the development of a massive petrochemical complex in Ras Laffan/Qatar. The two players announced that they had taken their cooperation to the next level. At the beginning of December 2011, Qatari energy minister Mohammed bin Saleh Al-Sada signed an agreement with Shell CEO Peter Voser outlining the scope and commercial principles of the proposed petrochemical hub.


Specifically, the Ras Laffan complex - of which Shell will control 20% and Qatar Petroleum the remaining 80% of shares - is to include a world-scale steam cracker, fed by natural gas sourced in Qatar, as well as a 1.5m t/y mono-ethylene glycol (MEG) plant using Shells "Omega"  technology and a 300,000 t/y linear alpha olefins line, powered by Shells higher olefin process (SHOP). Once operational, most of the hubs output is to go towards the growing Asian markets.


Specifically, the Ras Laffan complex - of which Shell will control 20% and Qatar Petroleum the remaining 80% of shares - is to include a world-scale steam cracker, fed by natural gas sourced in Qatar, as well as a 1.5m t/y mono-ethylene glycol (MEG) plant using Shells "Omega"  technology and a 300,000 t/y linear alpha olefins line, powered by Shells higher olefin process (SHOP). Once operational, most of the hubs output is to go towards the growing Asian markets.


Welcoming the progression, Al-Sada said, "This critical petrochemicals project fits well with Qatars strategy to strengthen and further diversify its growing chemicals industry and represents an important milestone on our journey to becoming a significant global petrochemicals producer."


mrcplast.com

Tags:MEG, oil.
Category:General News
|
| More

Leave a comment

MRC help

 


 All News   News subscribe