London +4420 814 42225
Moscow +7495 543 9194
Kiev +38044 599 2950
info@mrcplast.com

Our Clients

Order Informer

 
Home > News >
 

Borouge becomes a strategic partner of Project STOP

November 07/2019

MOSCOW (MRC) -- Borouge, the Abu Dhabi polymers producer, has joined Project STOP, the programme co-founded by parent company Borealis to prevent ocean plastic leakage, said Borealis in its press release.

Establishing new solutions and models that can be rapidly scaled up across the whole plastics chain, from plastic usage to waste collection and recycling.

Project STOP, co-founded by Borealis and SYSTEMIQ to prevent ocean plastic leakage, welcomes Borouge, a leading petrochemicals company that provides innovative and value creating plastics solutions, as a strategic partner, joining the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NOVA Chemicals, Nestle and the Alliance to End Plastic Waste.

Project STOPs positive impact is proof that partnerships between industry and government can generate effective solutions for sustainable waste management and the prevention of marine litter, said Alfred Stern, Borealis Chief Executive. We are pleased that Borouge, our Joint Venture with the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), has decided to increase their engagement and become a strategic partner in Project STOP. We also look forward to welcoming new partners and alliances on our journey to scale up this industry-leading initiative, which is an important step towards creating a circular economy for plastics."

Since its inception, Project STOP has welcomed a number of strategic partners, the newest one being Borouge, which originally joined the project in 2017 as a supporting partner. Project STOP works hand in hand with local municipalities and environmental agencies in Southeast Asia to contribute to developing a low cost and circular waste management infrastructure through city partnership projects in Indonesia.

Project STOP partners with industry players, as well as governments and the local community, and has three key objectives: to achieve zero leakage of waste into the environment, increase resource efficiency and recycle more plastics, as well as create benefits for the local communities. Since the launch of Project STOPs first city partnership in Muncar, in 2018, 1,800 tonnes of waste, of which 300 tonnes are plastic, have been collected. Furthermore, 60 local jobs have been created and waste management collection has been made accessible to more than 30,000 people, most of them for the first time.

Borouge is 40% owned by the Austrian polymers and fertilizers major, with the remaining 60% belonging to Abu Dhabis national oil company ADNOC.

Other members of Project STOP include the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NOVA Chemicals, Nestle and the Alliance to End Plastic Waste (AEPW). Project STOP is working with local municipalities and environmental agencies in southeast Asia to develop a circular waste management infrastructure through city partnership projects in Indonesia.

As MRC informed in the late October, The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), Adani Group (Adani), BASF SE (BASF) and Borealis AG (Borealis) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to engage in a joint feasibility study to further evaluate a collaboration for the establishment of a chemical complex in Mundra, Gujarat, India.  The collaboration includes evaluating a joint world-scale propane dehydrogenation (PDH) plant to produce propylene based on propane feedstock to be supplied by ADNOC. Propylene will be partially used as feedstock for a polypropylene (PP) complex, owned by ADNOC and Borealis, based on proprietary state-of-the-art Borealis Borstar technology.

According to MRC's ScanPlast report, the PP consumption in the Russian market was 909,260 tonnes in January-August 2019, up by 10% year on year. Shipments of PP block copolymer and homopolymer PP increased.

Borealis is a leading provider of innovative solutions in the fields of polyolefins, base chemicals and fertilizers. With headquarters in Vienna, Austria, Borealis currently employs around 6,500 and operates in over 120 countries.


mrcplast.com
Author:Anna Larionova
Tags:PP, PE, ADNOC, Borealis, Borouge.
Category:General News
|
| More

Leave a comment

MRC help

 


 All News   News subscribe